Monday, November 16, 2009

I Dream of Japanese Koi in a Modern Abstract Design Style

I have always loved Koi. Perhaps its part of my heritage being part Japanese, but I just love the way they look as they represent so much of my childhood growing up in Hawaii where koi ponds are quite abundant. I also love how they symbolize strength in the Japanese culture. So, last night I was thinking of a new design to come up with for the holidays and I caught a glimpse of this Koi hanging mobile that my friend sent to me from Japan. Eureka! I just thought of a new design!


So, I instantly started designing my koi in my modern abstract design style. I have seen many koi paintings and illustrations throughout my life, but I wanted something differ
ent. Something that was never designed before. Once I get a design in mind it usually doesn't take me that long to execute it. Before I knew it I was done and started designing the layout of the holiday card it will be featured on.

I must say I am very pleased with the way it turned out. A few modifications came about, but at the end, i think I have a couple of koi that obviously look like koi, but have that abstract look to them. If you someone were to ask me why I like abstract, I wouldn't be able to tell them, but one thing I know, I don't like to design things that look realistic.

I think this new design will catch on, but I love how they look and I will most definitely order a print for myself to hang somewhere in my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment